From DOES 2014: Huawei’s Continuous Delivery Transformation Journey
This talk was given at the 2014 DevOps Enterprise Summit (#DOES14)
Huawei is a $40B company delivering communications technologies for telecom carriers, enterprise and consumers. This talk provides an overview of Huawei’s Continuous Delivery and DevOps transformation initiatives in a complex embedded software environment.
Huawei’s CD and DevOps implementation is a centralized, shared cloud service currently used by 2,000 developers supporting 20 applications. It is in the process of being extended to 40,000 developers, servicing over 1,000 applications.
Some additional statistics on Huawei’s current implementation are:
- More than 2,000 releases per year
- More than 100,000 compile & builds per day
- More than 1 million test cases run per day
- More than 30 million LoC, product is complicated
- More than 480K code review/analysis per year
- More than 170k system integration testing per year
The benefits of the centralized, end-to-end CD platform include:
- Reduced cost of delivering software
- Increased resource utilization and productivity
- Shorter time to market with higher quality
In this talk, Anders Wallgren, Electric Cloud’s CTO, presents the business drivers and benefits of Huawei’s CD implementation – encompassing build, infrastructure provisioning, deployment and testing, plus reporting – including release pipeline visualization and progress dashboards.